We’ve hired several front-end developers here at Flying Saucer Studio, so we know it can be hard to find the right person.
You need to know they have the right tech skills.
You need the right cultural fit.
You need them to be able to solve problems and work in a team.
You need someone who can fly a UFO.
(No? That last one is just us?)
Over the years, we’ve hired some pretty amazing devs, if we do say so ourselves. With their help, we’ve built a happy, energetic, respectful team (and a lot of gorgeous websites for our clients, too.)
We’ve learned to find the best developers for us by asking the right questions in interviews. And we want you to be able to hire the best software developer for your SME, too. So here are the top 11 questions we ask every developer, plus what we look for in their answers. Give them a whirl for your next open position:
Q: Which of your technical skills do you think are most valuable for this job?
- Relevant technical skills
- A thorough understanding of the job description
- They know their strengths
Q: What do you think would be the most difficult for you in this role?
- A direct, transparent answer
- The intention to learn and overcome challenges
Q: How did you solve a recent programming challenge you encountered?
- Problem solving skills
- Bonus points if they collaborated to solve it
Q: How did you handle a recent conflict with your team?
- Conflict resolution and team work skills
- Respect for their colleagues
Q: How did you handle a recent time you got negative feedback?
- Appropriate response to feedback
- Desire to solve problems (instead of getting defensive)
Q: Which of your accomplishments are you most proud of?
- Passion and excitement
- What motivates them (and if your company can supply that)
Q: What are your personal values and how do you see them complementing ours?
- They’re a cultural fit
- They looked you up and know what your company is about
Q: How would you handle it if you were asked to do a task you didn’t have time for?
- They’re reliable and get things done. And…
- They have solid work-life boundaries
Q: How would you explain (insert relevant technical concept) to a non-tech teammate or client?
- Communication skills
- Thorough understanding of the concept
Q: Which tools do you enjoy or not enjoy working with?
- In-depth knowledge of relevant tools
- Problem solving skills when tools don’t work well
Q: What trends in web development are you most excited about?
- Up-to-date industry knowledge
- Passion for their work
And that’s it! With a few questions, you can figure out which front-end developers would work best for your team.
If you want to work with the best devs out there without the hassle of hiring your own… Shoot us a message. Our team of web developers all scored A++ on these interview questions, and we’d be happy to build you a website that will wow your customers.